Skip to main content

Toyota Previa final assessment 2017

So I finally get the word from insurance. 

It was an older vehicle and considered not worthy of fixing.
So they totaled it.
-----------------------------------

2 options.

$1400 and they can scrap my van.
$1200 and I keep the van...

This is a No Brainer.
I've dedicated so much time and effort to this van, that I couldn't simply let it die.
No... This whole project was about reviving this van and that is still the mission.


So I've been dreading it, but finally had time to really assess the damage.

With the limited time off due to work and family time, My junkyard salvaging has been severely hampered.

I was able to find a fender and grab it, but limited in time to get all the other parts needed, but those parts were either gone or damaged because dummies didn't care about them when removing.
--------------------------

As I was taking everything apart for Previa, I seen that the right side isn't just pushed back, but pushed into the engine bay as well.

I was able to put the fender one, but you can see where it is misaligned.

I am wondering if I need to get a S/C shell and just find a place or person to swap over my the motor, transmission and front suspension components since they are new.

Or wait til I can find a place and pay for pulling the frame a bit.
------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the pix.







----------------------------

After looking at my baby and seeing that I would have to spend time/money on frame straightening (if I can't do it myself) it looks like I might have to forget this particular van and get another one. 

So after calling around, a few shops say a couple thousand dollars. I expected to spend, but not that much. 

1. Pulling the frame. If shop does it (money), if I can do it (time).
2. After getting that straightened, I will still have to fix a few pieces (money)
3. Paint - which was the plan in the first place, but just to get this van to look nice.
4. Alignment since the wheel is kinda pushed back.
5. I will have to get the van brake and headlight certified.. which isn't a big deal, but again extra money and pain in the rear.

The other option is get another chassis.
I could possibly find a cheaper chassis for the engine and transmission. But I want the exact same set up. I wanted my Previa to have the middle row captains chairs, a dual sunroof and supercharger. I passed on a few Previas until I got the combo I wanted. 

So I'll be looking for:

1995-1997 Toyota Previa
Supercharged
Dual Sunroof model
Captains chair (preferred)
Interior condition not an issue
Engine and transmission condition not an issue
Basically looking for a rolling chassis.

I'll have to find a garage to swap EVERYTHING over.

So the engine and transmission is the main reason WHY I didn't just give up on the van.
But I'll have to pull those as the main thing (even the mounts are new).
But also the SADS couplers and driveshaft
Hopefully the steering rack is still good (as that is fucking new too)
The catalytic converters and 02 sensors are new as well. (but maybe I can get the flex pipe to get rid of the whistling sound).
----------------------------

This will also give me the opportunity to pull everything from the previa that can be spares, such as the sunroof and interior.. even dash and other components. 
----------------------------

As of this posting, most of the Previas on CL are non supercharged and don't fit my dual sunroof deal.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EGR system Clean out and Code P0401

EGR system clean and Code P0401 This is another MUST DO on the previas, especially if you are having issues and code P0401 being thrown. P0401 is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow insufficient detected".  Parts: - EGR intake gasket - 25628-76010 - this is on the far right side next to the exhaust. - EGR valve gasket - 25627-76010 - used for the EGR valve to the intake manifold.  -Air inlet duct gasket - 22273-76010 - this is where the air goes into the intake manifold and where   the EGR port gets plugged. 1 container of coolant I did buy a set of crow's feet and Universal joints for the Exhaust pipe. I followed Zenseeker's photo's on every single detail. If you haven't visit his website (http://zenseeker.net/Previa/PreviaMaintenance.htm), it is a treasure trove of information!!!  Zenseeker gets the credit and this would have been impossible for me to do without those pictures! **The pictures are located at the bottom of this po

I GOT A COOLBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found out that the previa had a "cool box", which is like tiny fridge under the dash in the middle, from Toyotavantech. I have seen them only in photos and in Canadian spec previas (unsure if they were in US spec). Even our owner's manual has some mention of them. Often times, I would look at CL in Vancouver BC in hopes someone wants to sell or part a van with it. Now, I've seen a few different versions, in which I don't have the ones that are pictured below. (note, these cool box images were found on the internet). A slanted shape one  This is a cool and hot box, 3 buttons on top ------------------------------------------------------------- I've kinda looked at the cool box as a Holy Grail. 9/12/15, Saturday. After volunteering my morning at the farmer's market making boxes and putting fruits and vegetables for low income families (Phat Beets Produce!) here in Oakland, I went to go fill up gas in

EGR, IAC Valve, Throttle body, black flakes in the coolant....

Before I get into this, let me give proper thanks for the info and pictures from zenseeker.net, toyotavantech (theMan) and Uri of Previadiaries.wordpress.com These sources really put pictures and what they did out there.. so now I 'm going to jumble them all together as I am going to do these cleans soon! ---------------------------------------------- After spending a pretty penny and 2 months having the motor rebuilt. I kept reading about the black flakes in the coolant.. I mentioned this to the shop that I had my van worked on. At on point, I asked for the throttle body  and IAC valve as it was just sitting there, but got the "dont worry about it, we'll take care of it". I even showed some blogs of that covered this issue. After getting the van back... boom, check engine light and the shop ran the code. In all honesty, I was kinda upset that they did not cover this part, even after I had mentioned it.  P0401 Error Code : "Exhaust Gas Recircul