Skip to main content

Transmission Failure and Rebuild 3/18-26/2015

Well... it came back and bit me.

When the motor was being rebuilt, the transmission was out and I was going to take it to the transmission shop to have it inspected. Since I could not get to the shop in time (work and school), I just had the shop change out seals and gaskets. I was also told tranny was good.

Well, after some basic research, I found out the S/C previas had the same transmission as the supras, which means they were beefier transmissions. So I had a false sense of "it should be okay".

WRONG.

A weeks ago, there was a noticeable long delay going into the lower gears. Then it got progressively worst with a sudden hard shift in to 2 and 3 gear. I had about enough of it.

I took it to the shop that did my motor (and it has been a few months) and they said it feels like the clutch packs in the first couple gears is going out and that maybe the internals are damaged.

I thought about it and took it to a transmission shop (the one I originally wanted to take my transmission to when the motor was out) for their opinion. He said the same issue after a test drive. I asked him how long it would take, he said if he took it that evening (Thursday) it won't be ready til Tuesday.

NOW -  I could either get another transmission (as I've seen at junkyards and craigslist) to save money in the short term, but what is gonna happen long term? The mentality of Replace vs Rebuild came into mind.

As I contemplated this idea, I called my wife and give her my idea. She said financially, it was okay to get it done. I was happy and had no hesitations calling the transmission shop after. I dropped it off and asked for a shift kit as well.
----------------------------------------------------




Well, the transmission was completed, but they asked about the transmission mounts because they were old and ripped. I gave the okay to order the mounts, but it was going to take 3 days.


I paid the for the rebuild, which was under what he quoted and $600 cheaper than the shop that rebuilt my motor quoted me.

He showed me the forward drum where the clutches were burning and falling apart and explained why going in the low gears was going out.



The full rebuild for the transmission covered:

Rebuilt transmission
-Master Overhaul kit
-New torque converter
-New forward drum
-New Input sprag
-New transmission electronics - shift and lock up solenoids
-Changed clutches and checked planetary gears
-Fluid for transmission and rear differential
-New clutches
-New overdrive planetary gear
-New Transmission mount inserts - Anchor - 9063
-Transgo shift kit - SK 340 (Type 1 VB)


friction clutch plates
standard steel plates
paper gaskets,
O rings,
lip seals,
metal clad seals
sealing rings
Band

#  97030 Bushing kit, A340 1985-UP
Standard set of bushings.
Does not include all types of ext. bushings


#  97038 Bushing, A340 O.D. DRUM FRT BUSHING

                 
#  97038B Bushing, A340 O.D. DRUM RR BUSHING

                 
#  97037 Bushing, A340 Stator Support (REAR) 1985-UP

#  97420K Solenoid kit, A340, 2 Shift solenoids & 1 Lock-up


metal clad seals
#  57070A Seal, Front / converter, most TOYOTA
NOK VITON Seal
        $ 5.49          
#  97074 Seal, Rear, A340
(40 x 58 x 11mm) 2.250" OD
Extention housing, 1985-UP, 2wd (85-Up) (A750E) (03-Up) 





-------------------------------------

As anyone normally would do, I got on it and just to check the shifting... and WOW, it moved like a car!!!

Got on the freeway and stepped on it...

This transmission felt better than any previa I have driven. That shift kit made a difference.
---------------------------------------

Once the transmission mounts come in, I will probably look at mounting a transmission cooler.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EGR system Clean out and Code P0401

EGR system clean and Code P0401 This is another MUST DO on the previas, especially if you are having issues and code P0401 being thrown. P0401 is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow insufficient detected".  Parts: - EGR intake gasket - 25628-76010 - this is on the far right side next to the exhaust. - EGR valve gasket - 25627-76010 - used for the EGR valve to the intake manifold.  -Air inlet duct gasket - 22273-76010 - this is where the air goes into the intake manifold and where   the EGR port gets plugged. 1 container of coolant I did buy a set of crow's feet and Universal joints for the Exhaust pipe. I followed Zenseeker's photo's on every single detail. If you haven't visit his website (http://zenseeker.net/Previa/PreviaMaintenance.htm), it is a treasure trove of information!!!  Zenseeker gets the credit and this would have been impossible for me to do without those pictures! **The pictures are located at the bottom of this po

I GOT A COOLBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found out that the previa had a "cool box", which is like tiny fridge under the dash in the middle, from Toyotavantech. I have seen them only in photos and in Canadian spec previas (unsure if they were in US spec). Even our owner's manual has some mention of them. Often times, I would look at CL in Vancouver BC in hopes someone wants to sell or part a van with it. Now, I've seen a few different versions, in which I don't have the ones that are pictured below. (note, these cool box images were found on the internet). A slanted shape one  This is a cool and hot box, 3 buttons on top ------------------------------------------------------------- I've kinda looked at the cool box as a Holy Grail. 9/12/15, Saturday. After volunteering my morning at the farmer's market making boxes and putting fruits and vegetables for low income families (Phat Beets Produce!) here in Oakland, I went to go fill up gas in

EGR, IAC Valve, Throttle body, black flakes in the coolant....

Before I get into this, let me give proper thanks for the info and pictures from zenseeker.net, toyotavantech (theMan) and Uri of Previadiaries.wordpress.com These sources really put pictures and what they did out there.. so now I 'm going to jumble them all together as I am going to do these cleans soon! ---------------------------------------------- After spending a pretty penny and 2 months having the motor rebuilt. I kept reading about the black flakes in the coolant.. I mentioned this to the shop that I had my van worked on. At on point, I asked for the throttle body  and IAC valve as it was just sitting there, but got the "dont worry about it, we'll take care of it". I even showed some blogs of that covered this issue. After getting the van back... boom, check engine light and the shop ran the code. In all honesty, I was kinda upset that they did not cover this part, even after I had mentioned it.  P0401 Error Code : "Exhaust Gas Recircul