Skip to main content

4/24-28/2015 The days and nights I completed some tasks.

Alright, the last few days (nights) have been nothing but getting my "to do list" with the done.

I recently cleaned out the rear A/C vents from the built up/caked on dust. Changed out the sunroof lever.

I then finally got done with the Sunroof garnish issues.

I have never taken the previa apart and like this and it wasn't really my intentions... but one thing led to another.

 After work on Friday, I took out my mid row captain chair seats. This was to prep for removing the big left side interior panel.

Come Saturday morning, I started to take the panel out to change the driver's seat belt. This seat belt was frayed and I've been waiting (procrastinating) on putting in the a newer one for a couple months.

Since I never took this apart, I didn't know extensive it was. I ended up removing the left side rear folding seat and then I realized, I mind as well remove all the panels.

Behind the panels were dust and cob webs and I felt that I mind as well clean out as much as possible.

While the panels were off, I almost wanted to do some insulation (to keep the van cool) and maybe find a good place to set up an power inverter. 

I put in the newer seat belt and focused on take out the opposite rear panel. By then, I inspected the Pioneer speakers and tested them out (were good) but the back speaker on the right side was not working and blown out. I decided to just removed it and toss it.

*Which led me to task 2, addressing the moving sliding door track and also look at the sliding door as mine felt off aligned and had to slam it shut (too much force for it to close).

I have been meaning to look into this issue more indepth, but have not really had the time to "reverse engineer" at the junkyards.

The track was held by 5 nuts.

Then I had to go to my annual eye exam for a couple hours. Came back and took a nap with my boys. Woke up and looked on Toyotavantech, Toyotanation and zenseeker's previa page to see what the issue was with the middle slider. It seems the issue with taking off the sliding door panel was near the handle.

Decided at 830pm to go to Home Depot and Harbor Freight to pick up some stuff. Went straight to HD and got the nylon spacers mentioned. Then to Harbor Freight to get some drill bits, power inverter and tools that I might need.

Got home and started to work on the sliding door. I could not figure out how to get the handle off, but I was able to get the back of the panel off so I could undo the 2 bolts holding the middle slider. I took off the middle slider to find the posts were in decent condition and the post rollers were okay, but going out. I also took of the sliding track to see why it seemed loose.

The time was about 1230am. HERE IS WHERE THE NIGHT TOOK A TURN FOR THE WORSE.

Last weekend, I changed my oil, but I was unable to get the filter off, with 3 different oil wrenches. I decided to do this late/early times because I didnt want people to complain (I live in an apt complex with underground parking garage/lot). I got my good gripping oil filter wrench (claw looking) and gave it a good grip and tried to give it one last go before I decided to do the screw driver through the filter deal.

Now all my seats and panels were in my parking spot. I was over 3 spots (empty spot).

I gave it a go and it didnt budge. So I decided to try move it over to my spot. What I didn't see/realize was that I ripped the oil filter. Well, lets just say that small moved from one parking spot to another left a river of oil. I couldn't believe it.

I spent 1-5 am cleaning up that spill before anyone could wake up. I have not burned that much energy in a long time.

After the clean up, I decided to just take off the oil filter mount (3 bolts). I passed out for 4 hours til around 9am, when out of desperation, I decided to go to the nearby O'Reily's for ideas.

MAN, THANK YOU DOUGLAS AND RICK OF O'REILY'S. The helped me get the oil filter off... we had to C clamp it down and form some reason it was OVERLY TIGHTENED and the seal as also not lubricated, which made turning it a beeottch.

That made my day right there. I pulled out my left over bag of stuff from the rebuild and I had a spare figure 8 gasket that is used for that piece. Got underneath and put it back together.
 -----------------------------

Now, I got back to the previous issue, the middle slider assembly. I drilled out the nylon spacers and put them on, installed them back on the door and installed the track. Closed the door and it felt like butter and not much force to close the door!!!

I then went back underneath the van and sprayed Purple Power to the oil that was splattered around.

I then decided to take care of the tiny hose that was come off and giving me a check engine light. Ever since I found it, I made sure it was in place, it hasn't come off. I then saw another hose looking very old and worn... so I decided to go back to O'Reily's and get some hoses.

Changed out a few the hoses and called it a night.
 -----------------------------------------------------------

Today (4/28/15 - Tuesday), I had work off today because of an appointment. Once that was done, I decided to look at the supercharger. I have a pretty extensive maint. folder from the previous owner, but nothing mentioned looking at the supercharger. While I was underneath my van again, just spraying, I reached up and twisted the S/C dipstick to find it was very low.

This again was something I planned on doing, even go the syringe for it... but just got caught up with other things.

Well, this was my chance to get it done since I've been smelling like oil and been crawling underneath the Previa.

Again, did some quick research on TVT and Zenseeker. I decided to go with GM brand since there was a stealership a few miles away. I picked up 8oz (2 4oz bottles) of their supercharger fluid.

Got the syringe and hose ready, went under the van and used a 17 mm to drain the supercharger. There was some fluid in there, but it smelt burnt.. it was kinda strong. Got the syringe, fuddled the small hose into the dipstick oil and filled it up until it started to spew that oil out. Tightened everything back up again and took it for a test drive.

I just felt good doing that supercharger change because it made me think of when was the last time it was serviced... if ever!!!!

-----------------------------

Shortly after, I put all the seats back it and made sure all the panels were properly installed.


It was a lot of stuff accomplished... even the S/C oil change was something that I was procrastinating on and finally did it.


And yes, crappy video of the processes (besides the catastrophic oil spill) is going up!

Comments

  1. You sure did a lot of job, Roger! Well, at least you've managed to finish them all, specially your car's oil change. Good thing there's a nearby professional service that helped you with it. You did a really great job with all of that. I hope everything's working well right now. :-)

    Abraham Yates @ Apache Oil Company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abraham. That was a tough weekend, but it I got a lot accomplished and done. Stuff I needed to do and take care of.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EGR system Clean out and Code P0401

EGR system clean and Code P0401 This is another MUST DO on the previas, especially if you are having issues and code P0401 being thrown. P0401 is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow insufficient detected".  Parts: - EGR intake gasket - 25628-76010 - this is on the far right side next to the exhaust. - EGR valve gasket - 25627-76010 - used for the EGR valve to the intake manifold.  -Air inlet duct gasket - 22273-76010 - this is where the air goes into the intake manifold and where   the EGR port gets plugged. 1 container of coolant I did buy a set of crow's feet and Universal joints for the Exhaust pipe. I followed Zenseeker's photo's on every single detail. If you haven't visit his website (http://zenseeker.net/Previa/PreviaMaintenance.htm), it is a treasure trove of information!!!  Zenseeker gets the credit and this would have been impossible for me to do without those pictures! **The pictures are located at the bottom of this po

I GOT A COOLBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found out that the previa had a "cool box", which is like tiny fridge under the dash in the middle, from Toyotavantech. I have seen them only in photos and in Canadian spec previas (unsure if they were in US spec). Even our owner's manual has some mention of them. Often times, I would look at CL in Vancouver BC in hopes someone wants to sell or part a van with it. Now, I've seen a few different versions, in which I don't have the ones that are pictured below. (note, these cool box images were found on the internet). A slanted shape one  This is a cool and hot box, 3 buttons on top ------------------------------------------------------------- I've kinda looked at the cool box as a Holy Grail. 9/12/15, Saturday. After volunteering my morning at the farmer's market making boxes and putting fruits and vegetables for low income families (Phat Beets Produce!) here in Oakland, I went to go fill up gas in

EGR, IAC Valve, Throttle body, black flakes in the coolant....

Before I get into this, let me give proper thanks for the info and pictures from zenseeker.net, toyotavantech (theMan) and Uri of Previadiaries.wordpress.com These sources really put pictures and what they did out there.. so now I 'm going to jumble them all together as I am going to do these cleans soon! ---------------------------------------------- After spending a pretty penny and 2 months having the motor rebuilt. I kept reading about the black flakes in the coolant.. I mentioned this to the shop that I had my van worked on. At on point, I asked for the throttle body  and IAC valve as it was just sitting there, but got the "dont worry about it, we'll take care of it". I even showed some blogs of that covered this issue. After getting the van back... boom, check engine light and the shop ran the code. In all honesty, I was kinda upset that they did not cover this part, even after I had mentioned it.  P0401 Error Code : "Exhaust Gas Recircul